BeatEmorBurnEmBeatEmorBurnEm

Main Movies Art Reviews Stats 1 Fan

Dearly Beloved-Earthbound Dearly Beloved-Earthbound

Mehh..

I don't know man. It was well constructed, I have no gripes about that. It was interesting seeing Earthbound sprites/tiles in a sidescrolling kind of perspective.

But this thing honestly made no sense. It's clearly something very personal and I think in a public format it doesn't translate well. Having something so serious alongside Earthbound pixel art made it seems like a joke almost; I felt like I was waiting for a punchline at the end because Earthbound is such a light-hearted and funny game.

Deadally responds:

I like your observations! While I certainly agree that the use of Earthbound sprites might suggest a joke, there is the very serious and touching underside to Earthbound which is not readily apparent, including the themes of love, friendship, and finding the Sword of Kings :).

I thank everyone who has written reviews so far. They've made me quite happy! Please keep them coming!

Sonic & the 16bit world 4 Sonic & the 16bit world 4

Lose.

Another generic sprite movie. All of them are the same.

PS: Zooming extremely close onto something that's only like 20 pixels wide, looks retardedly bad.

Mindy Learns a Moral Mindy Learns a Moral

Interesting!

I liked it a lot. The animation and art style/quality were top-notch. The plotline reminded me in a lot of ways of Toy Story or The Brave Little Toaster (old possession rejected by its owner, but later recovered)

TmsT responds:

Yep, I was hoping the Toy Story elements would come through! I haven't seen Brave Little Toaster yet, but somehow it made me think of that kind of movie.

Apractice Animation Apractice Animation

Nicely done.

I would say as a standard cartoon this wasn't that great. But for your first animation, it was amazing. Myself (and most people I know) started with crude stick animations, so I think this is already a great start. Give it a few months/years of practice and you'll be cranking out some awesome stuff.

The Last Maple Story The Last Maple Story

Meh.

It was well put together, but everything else about this is misery... maplestory, techno german music, text-to-speech "clock" style dialogue, sprites and backgrounds traced/ripped from a game... and yet it has an amazing rating. I'm baffled. I really am.

CirrusEpix responds:

For one, I hate the speakonia dialogue, but I know plenty of people who use text-to-speech converters when they play online games, so all they hear is that annoying voice. I also wanted to give the annoying gamers more annoying voices. Thanks for the honest review.

I.E.S. ep.1 I.E.S. ep.1

I'm intrigued.

Great job. YOU'RE BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL!!!

A great (not so subtle) commentary on American ethnocentrism. The humor wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but I did enjoy it a lot. I always have a great appreciation for well animated and well-drawn pieces such as this.

DeuceNine responds:

I was aiming for wall #6...

Clarius and Hancho Clarius and Hancho

Looks good!

So sad on newgrounds how something well-drawn and well-animated like this pulls in low scores, while the zelda/mario parodies done by 10-year-olds are still scoring 4+. Oh well, I like it! Makes me eager to see the actual series. Best of luck.

Purgatory Pizza Teaser Purgatory Pizza Teaser

Interesting.

Interesting idea, and the art itself isn't inherently bad. My big gripe would be the actual quality of the art...it looks like you hand-drew this stuff and then 'trace-bitmapped' it. you can see that it is vector, but with VERY jaggy edges. None of the art is entirely complicated, so there's no reason it couldn't just be drawn straight in flash. It'd look a lot cleaner. I do like the concept though, so just refine it a bit and you could have a great series on your hands!

Sound-O-Vision responds:

Thanks for the feedback! I'm fond of Illustrator's Live Trace function, but good call, we did use Trace Bitmap for a few of the shots. We wanted to keep the hand-drawn feeling, but perhaps it could use some polishing. Of course, you'd see that in the Pilot, we did this trailer in just two days.

Thanks again for the intelligent review!

Then I Run Then I Run

Spectacular.

It's rare to see a truly artistic piece on newgrounds, so it's very refreshing when a video like yours comes along! Couldn't have chosen a better song; it matches your artistic style perfectly. Great job, the video was very inspiring.

AKIRA 16-bit Part 1 AKIRA 16-bit Part 1

Pleasantly Surprised

I generally despise sprite-based movies. Especially since on newgrounds they seem to get MUCH higher ratings than they deserve. But I think that this was a really interesting way of doing one. The sprites were all ripped very well, and the shots were set up beautifully! It had a very cinematic quality about it. Great job.